Monday, May 3, 2010

Important Telephone Numbers

Tennessean Here are telephone numbers to file claims with some of the largest home insurers in Tennessee. • State Farm Fire and Casualty Co., 1-800-732-5246 • Farm Bureau Insurance, 1-800-836-6327 • Allstate Insurance Co., 1-800-767-7619 • Nationwide Insurance Co., 1-800-421-3535 • Traveler’s Insurance Co., 1-800-252-4633 • Farmers Insurance Group 1-800-435-7764 • USAA (United Services Auto Association), 1-800-531-8111 • Foremost Insurance Co., 1-800-527-3907 Here are tips about from the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance on interacting with insurance companies. • Locate a copy of your policy and read through it. • Contact your insurance carrier or your agent as soon as possible after damage. • Make a thorough inventory of all missing or damaged items. • Take pictures inside and out for documentation before repairs are made. • Secure and protect your property against further rain or other damage without making permanent repairs, so an adjustor can see the full extent of damage. • Keep receipts for any expenses required to protect your property from further damage. • Follow the claims-filing procedure set forth in your policy. If there is a dispute, follow the company’s dispute process. • Settlement offers from insurers can be negotiated. You don’t have to take the first offer. • If you have issues with an insurance company, call the Department of Commerce and Insurance at 1-800-342-4029. • Avoid unscrupulous, unlicensed contractors who take advantage of homeowners anxious to rebuild after disasters by hiring only licensed contractors. Consumers may verify a license status by calling 1-800-544-7693 or checking online at For noninsurance issues, call the Consumer Affairs hot line, 1-800-342-8385.

No comments: