Monday, April 12, 2010

This is a great day for my friend Catherine

Hello Friends: This is a great day for my friend, Catherine. She is celebrating such an important milestone in her life. By her living she has helped and is helping many women that share her struggle. I know that you will be moved by what she sent me today. Thank you for reading and thank you for giving. Gratefully, Vivian Catherine writes: Today April 12th, marks sixteen (16) years since I was first diagnosis with HIV. Out of the mist of uncertainty, certainly I have seen many challenges over the years. Last years eight day hospitalization was unmistakably AIDS at its best. I have experienced parts of AIDS I had not known. (Read more)........ Today April 12th, marks sixteen (16) years since I was first diagnosis with HIV. Out of the mist of uncertainty, certainly I have seen many challenges over the years. Last years eight day hospitalization was unmistakably AIDS at its best. I have experienced parts of AIDS I had not known. Often I heard, “you don’t look like you have HIV.” Trust me, I look like AIDS! It never leaves me. Lurking in the shadows in seclusion AIDS strikes more often than in the past. It knocks me down but I get back up. Truly what satin meant for my harm all those years ago, God in His mercifulness has chosen to use for His glory! In my time on the path of AIDS many have lost their lives to AIDS related illness while the stigma deepened its hold and rates of infections continued to skyrocket. The color of HIV/AIDS has become African American/black/mocha/chocolate/tan and the gender of AIDS has become female. HIV/AIDS has become me. Sixteen years ago I didn’t know my destiny would be tied to a 501 © 3 community based organization called W.O.M.E.N. The lessons I have learned are priceless. An extraordinary fact of W.O.M.E.N. is that it is the only 15 year old HIV focused CBO founded, organized, facilitated and ran by an African American mother and author living with AIDS in the state of Tennessee. Sixteen yeas have taught me that globally, nationally, regionally and collectively, the greatest need is education, education, education. Without education, we parish. Education is the key to awareness. For example, I find it problematic that black women comprise only 12 percent of the female population in the United States, yet we accounted for more than 64 percent of women living with HIV/AIDS. HIV disease was the third leading cause of death for black women, ages 25- 34, in 2004. I find it not only problematic but troubling in that funding to provide education, outreach, mobilization and advocacy has not kept pace with the new face of HIV/AIDS. The leading cause of death for black women is heart disease but again the appropriate resources are not in place to reach this population. However, against the backdrop of these challenges what needs to be done is the creation of a facility I call W.O.M.E.N.’s HOUSE. My vision for W.O.M.E.N.’s HOUSE is an educational platform that is culturally sensitive, gender specific, safe and prolongs economic and sustainable health outcomes for women. I believe these challenges need to be met head-on with a facility offering women a secure, regimented, and compassionate community. Personally the larger need I see is a comprehensive facility in one location that links prevention and intervention coupled with continued gender specific education built on social and economic skills as well as cultural awareness. My experience says the facilities strength would be the development of a research infrastructure integrated into the residences lives. My life is given for others. Thousands of lives have been touched but nonetheless this is a hard journey. If you are familiar with the story of Moses, his destiny was tied to leading the people out of bondage but the trip with arduous. He is remember for bring freedom but he paid the price for their freedom. Today clearly God’s plan for my life was not only to educate through the creation of W.O.M.E.N., but to exceed that in the creation of W.O.M.E.N. HOUSE. God has shown me that W.O.M.E.N.’s HOUSE will be unlike any other facility in the southern part of the United States. So through illness and pain I will not give up. My time has not yet come. W.O.M.E.N.’s HOUSE will materialize! Hopefully my actions have spoken loud and my legacy has not been in vain. Catherine Wyatt-Morley Founder and Chief Executive Officer Women On Maintaining Education and Nutrition National Minority Women with AIDS Coalition 460 10th Circle North Nashville Tennessee 37203 615 256-3882 Phone 615-256-3885 fax womenceo@bellsouth.net www.educatingwomen.org If you are moved beyond complacency and really want to make a difference in the lives of others please consider donating to W.O.M.E.N. towards the construction of W.O.M.E.N.'s HOUSE. Paying it forward for future generations is all of our responsibility. Your donation is tax deductible and you will help frame a foundation for the advancement of women locally, nationally and internationally. Join me in doing your part. You can make a difference! If you are HIV+ and want to become a resident of W.O.M.E.N.'s HOUSE or want more information please contact number below. If God has been good to you and you are looking for a way to give back consider volunteering. W.O.M.E.N. 460 10th Circle North Nashville TN 37203 615-256-3882 Fax us at 615-256-3885 Look us up on the web at www.educatingwomen.org

No comments: