Thursday, February 21, 2008

Man critically injured in downtown shooting

A man is in critical condition after being shot in a parking lot in downtown Nashville overnight, Metro police said. Police answered the call that came a little after 2 a.m. Wednesday. Police think an attempted robbery in the parking lot at 2nd Avenue South and Molloy Street went awry after words were exchanged between two men, Metro police Capt. David Imhof said. One of the men pulled out a gun and fired, injurying the other, Imhof said. The victim was transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center and was in critical condition. He was taken to surgery, Imhof said. Police are looking for the suspect, whom they described as a black man wearing a white shirt and a black stocking cap and who was in a white four-door sedan. Police are also looking for a vehicle of interest, a silver SUV, that was at the scene. If you have any information on this incident, call Metro police. — LEIGH RAY Posted by MS I must leave additional information on this area of town last night. I had gone out for a special Dinner last night at the "Melting Pot" on 2nd avenue. I was dropped off at the front door of the restaurant and 2 seconds away from the door. I had two people stop me to ask for money. I also noticed that 2nd avenue was very dark and scary. That scene put a damper on my dinner and I also saw that the business in this establishment was down from what it usually was. I miss the times of going to some great establishments located on 2nd avenue and I am not sure if I will travel that way again soon. In the middle of the night I am watching the news and find that someone got shot later last night near to where I was earlier that night. Why are there not any police patrolling this area at night? Why are half the street lights out? Comment posted by MS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear MS

The shooting that took place last night was on Second Avenue South a good way away from the Second Avenue North location of The Melting Pot.

The downtown merchants are working diligently with the city council and police on a panhadling ordinance with some teeth. It is unfortunate that this bad behaivor is tolerated due to convaluted, politically correct interpretations of "Freedom of Speech"

As for the Melting Pot our business is better than it has ever been. The scene on Second Avenue has improved exponentially since the closing of the Night Club above us.

Unfortuantely that is about to change again. O'Charley's Restaurants has sublet thier space to yet another club which will be opening soon.

If you wouyld like to get involved there is a meeting today of the local Merchants at 3pm at the Nashville Downtown Partnership office and there is a Public Meeting: Downtown Quality of Life
Monday, February 25, 2008
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Downtown Public Library (Auditorium)
615 Church Street

All the best,

Mark Rosenthal

Blogger said...

Mark,

Thank you for the invite to the meeting, but, cannot attend because I have other meetings to attend today. Do you have a website or blog where the minutes of the meetings are posted? Please let me know of your next meeting and I will plan to attend.

I am not part of any Council, just a concerned citizen of the Nashville area. I have setup and maintain this blogspot for Vivian Wilhoite just to keep the area updated and informed with as much information as possible.

My comment are my feelings.

As far as the Melting Pot, this place is my favorite place ever. I highly recommend to everyone I know. My point was that many people do not frequent 2nd avenue because of the crimes that have happened in the past...

Mark please contact me by email so I can discuss further because this is Vivian's blog and not mine.

Thank you again for your response and look forward to hearing from you.

Mschw64276@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I heard the shots all the way down the river in East Nashville.

Yes. Nashville has a horrible panhandling problem. The homeless problem is out of control as well. In fact, I have two camps of homeless within view of my apartment. Both are on public property underneath overpasses and are gated. It is illegal for them to be there. I have spoken with the police and they refuse to do anything about it.

My neighbor almost got jumped on the Shelby Street Bridge last week and was circled by 3 homeless men. I have never once seen a police officer patrol that bridge and I have walked the bridge thousands of times.

Political correctness is making this city a giant crap hole and our local government refuses to do anything about it. It's embarrassing when people come here from out of town.